Sunday, March 9, 2014

Poetic Fear Liturgy


I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. 
Out of the night that covers me
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
I will face my fear.
for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. 
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Only I will remain.
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


Regular text is from Frank Herbert's Dune. Bold text is from the Psalm 23. Italicized text is from Invictus, by William Henley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment